Sunday, February 22, 2015

Changing By The Minute

It would seem that a person's thoughts, views, opinions etc. are constant. At least this is what I thought.

Turns out, I myself am an exception to this.

Other than a few big things like love for humanity, patriotism, respect for my parents etc., all other things change to almost diametrically opposite stands for me. The funny part is, there is no way I can prove my love for humanity, patriotism, respect for parents to myself. So these might just be speculations in my mind.

I have noticed that whenever I expose myself to some new idea, I either pursue it to death, or I hate it. Then, in some time, a week, a couple of months, or until a friend makes me do the opposite ... yes, you guessed it right.

Seeing such inconsistencies in myself is amusing and confusing at the same time. Amusing because it does not matter a lot in the grand scheme of things. My attitude towards certain kinds of food, exercise, work related stuff etc. does not really matter. I (now) know it will definitely change. But it is very confusing because sometimes you have to invest yourself in terms of time or effort or both to one side. Additionally, I always try to be consistent, and this aspect of myself makes me feel like an idiot.

There is always the looming fear of losing some great opportunity just because my silly mind is turned to some other thing at a certain moment in time. But there is also the fear of pouncing too soon on something not worth pouncing at all.

There was a time I wrote really long blog posts. Then I got to really short posts, and now I just write whatever I want. I have used a lot of commas and et-ceteras in this post, and there was a time I hated both. I knew I would not be able to write a lot, and that is why I named the blog "More Not Than Often". But the only reason I am writing this post is because a friend prompted me to. Love you Arpit, but don't know for how long :-)

How often do you feel that you were an idiot some time back?

11 comments:

  1. No worries, KK. The fact that you can recognize and address "the grand scheme of things" is paramount to consistency. We change our minds often; it is normal. If you never changed it, especially in consideration of new discoveries, it would be abnormal. In answer to your closing question, I often feel idiotic --sometimes the best I can hope for is to be some new kind of idiot that will assist human progress. Excellent post, and a mindful one --which is what I have come to expect from you. My compliments and admiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geo for these kind words. Hoping your opinion of me does not change :-)

      Delete
  2. Good read as always. I think views and opinions change as we gain experience over the time.
    So basically (Nerd alert!!),
    Change in Opinions ∝ Experience over the time.
    And its better to have right opinion finally than to have wrong one.
    Keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. But there is no 'finally'. This is why everything is ambiguous.

      Delete
  3. oh there are points when I learned i was an idiot here or there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Points in time are all right, but sometimes my whole set of opinions on a issue take a U-turn.

      Delete
  4. Well....we all are fickle in our own sweet way. but that makes us all the more interesting. How boring would it be if the mind went only on a fixed path...
    Our idiocy makes us interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. I definitely do not wish to keep on going on a fixed path.

      Delete
  5. I should have considered environment. Great point on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Opinions changes due to aging.and experience. When you are a little boy, if someone bought a bicycle on your birthday, you would have been the happiest person. Would a bicycle on your birthday now will bring you the same "happiness"? (It's a different matter if someone bought you a BMW now).

    ReplyDelete